We Honor Veterans
There are approximately 20 million veterans and half are over age 65. Every
day 1,800 veterans die and 1,000 of them are World War II veterans. Approximately
1.5 million WWII veterans and 2.3 million Korean Era veterans remain.
Vietnam era veterans are now the largest group of veterans at approximately
7.5 million. One of every four deaths in the U.S. is a veteran.
Hospice of Frederick County is grateful to our United States veterans and
their service to our country. Through the We Honor Veterans program, which
is a collaboration between the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization
and the Department of Veterans Affairs, we have trained our staff to be
highly sensitive to the unique needs of our nation’s veterans.
How We Honor Veterans
We provide compassionate and respectful support to veterans and their families.
We have trained our staff to be sensitive to the unique needs of our nation's
heroes. Each veteran who receives hospice care benefits from:
- Bereavement counselors to help with grief
- Social workers to bring psychosocial support
- Chaplains for religious and spiritual support
As a result of a generous grant from the Kalhert Foundation,
https://www.thekahlertfoundation.org/, HFC now has a full-time Veteran Liaison staff member to offer comradeship,
support and assistance to the veteran and their family. This can include:
- Providing information about state and VA benefits such as Aid and Attendance,
pensions, cemeteries, monuments and military honors
- Assistance in obtaining discharge documents, records, medals and awards
- Recognition ceremony that includes presentation of a certificate of appreciation
and veteran pin
- Visits from veteran volunteers
Become a Veteran - Veteran Volunteer
We need you! If you are a veteran and would like to learn more about how
to honor and support veteran patients and their families, please contact
our Veteran Liaison at 301-514-4230.
Download our Veteran Brochure
- Hospice served WWII veteran, Annabelle Childers (93), who served as an
Army medic in military hospitals.
Veteran Resource Links
Watch Our Video to Learn More About Veteran's Program